Vice –President [Article – 63-71]
|Vice President||· Office is modelled – American Vice President
· Second highest office after President of India.
· elected by the members of an electoral college – UH, LH M
· both elected and nominated members of the Parliament
· the members of the state legislative (Not include)
· Elected by system of proportional representation by means of the single transferable vote and voting is done by secret ballot.
|Qualification||· Citizen of India, 35 age, qualification to became member of RS
· Not hold office of profit.
· The nominated of a candidate for election to office of VP must be subscribed by at least 20 electors as proposer & 20 electors as seconders. Every candidate has to make security deposit of 15,000 in the Reserve Bank of India.
|Oath||By President or some person appointed in that behalf of him.
1. He should not be a member of either House of Parliament or a House of the state legislature.
2. Should not hold any other office of profit.
|Term of Office||→ 5 years from the date on which he enters upon his office.
→ Removed by a resolution of the Rajya Sabha passed by an absolute majority (i.e., a majority of the total strength of the House) and agreed to by the Lok Sabha (i.e. simple majority).
→ No such resolution can be moved unless at least 14 days advance notice has been given.
|Vacancy in office of VP||· On the expiry of his tenure of 5 years.
· By his resignation
· On his removal
· By his death
· Declared disqualified by SC
· All doubts and disputes in connection with election of the Vice-President are inquired into and decided by the Supreme Court whose decision is final.
|Power & Function||· He acts as the ex-officio Chairman of Rajya Sabha. In this capacity, his powers and functions are similar to those of the Speaker of Lok Sabha.
· Act as President when a vacancy occurs in the office of the President
· Can act as President only for a maximum period of 6 months
· While acting as President Vice-President does not perform the duties of the office of the chairman of Rajya Sabha.
|Emoluments||· Constitution has not fixed any emoluments for the Vice-President in that capacity.
· He draws his regular salary in his capacity as the ex-officio Chairman of the Rajya Sabha.
· While acting as President, he is not entitled to the salary or allowance of President.
|63.||The Vice-President of India|
|64.||The Vice-President to be ex-officio Chairman of RS|
|65.||The Vice-President to act as President|
|66.||Election of Vice-President|
|67.||Term of office of Vice-President|
|69.||Oath or affirmation by the Vice-President|
|70.||Discharge of President’s functions in other contingencies|
|71.||Matters relating to, or connected with, the election of Vice- President|
Get all essential Crux notes by clicking here https://diademy.com/product/staticcrux/