National Disaster Management Authority
|Establishment||· Gujarat earthquake-National Committee, 2001.
· After the Indian Ocean Tsunami of 2004- Disaster Management Act 2005.
· NDMA created under disaster management act – consist of chairperson and other members – Max nine.
· PM – Ex officio chairperson.
· Other members nominated by chairperson
· NDMA is apex body for disaster management – under administrative control of MoHA
|Objectives||· Promote a culture of prevention, preparedness and resilience at all levels-through knowledge, innovation and education.
· Encourage mitigation measures based on technology, traditional wisdom and environmental sustainability.
· Mainstream disaster management into developmental planning process
· Establish institutional and techno legal framework – enable regulatory environment and compliance regime.
· Develop contemporary forecasting an early warning systems.
· Undertake reconstruction, effective response and relief with caring approach
· Promote a productive and proactive partnership with media for disaster management
|Functions||Has a responsibility majorly for laying down principles, plans and guidelines for disaster management to ensure timely and effective response to disasters
1. Approve a national plan + plans prepared by ministries or departments
2. Lay down guidelines to be followed by state disaster management authority – SDMA
3. To lay down broad principles and guidelines for functioning of National Institute Of Disaster Management
4. National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) – Force constituted for the purpose of specialist response to a threatening disaster situation or disaster.
5. SDMA to set up district level authority – District Disaster Management Authority (DDMA).
Get all essential Crux notes by clicking here https://diademy.com/product/staticcrux/