|Election Commission||Permanent and Independent body – Art. 324 -Power od superintendence, direction and control of elections:
1. President of India and vice- president of India
4. For panchayats & Municipalities – state Election Commission
|COMPOSITION||– Art. 324 – Election Commission = CEC + EC – as fixed by President.
– Regional Commissioners for – appointed by President to assist EC
– They hold office for a term of six years or until the age of 65.
a. CEC provided with security of tenure. – cannot be removed in any manner except same as SC judge – can be removed by President on the basis of a resolution passed by both houses with special majority.
b. Ground of proved misbehaviour or incapacity
c. Regional EC and other election commissioners – cannot be removed – except on recommendation of CEC.
|Condition of service & tenure by POI||Historical – 1850 to 1989-single body
16/10/1989 – POI, two election commissioner [Voting age 21-18]
Abolished 2 more appointment
1993–till current :– three election commissioner decision by majority salary/allow and /other
6 years/68 years/ can be removed before time.
|Power & function with regard to E.C are||1. To determine territorial constituencies
2. Revise electoral rolls & to register all eligible voters
3. Date/scheduled/of election Recognisation of Political Parties.
5. Dispute settlement
7. Code of conduct
8. Advice POI for disqualification of MP.
– governor for disqualification of MLA
9. Cancel poll in event of rigging
10. Ensure free and fair election.
11. State election Feasibility/President Rule
12. Registered parties
Get all essential Crux notes by clicking here https://diademy.com/product/staticcrux/