Context: The Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilisers hoped that United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) will support domestic industry with international best practices and policy & technical assistance.
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability.
- As of 1 April 2019, 170 States are Members of UNIDO (including India).
- The mission of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), as described in the Lima Declaration, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States.
- UNIDO’s mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation”.
- Accordingly, the Organization’s programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities:
- Creating shared prosperity
- Advancing economic competitiveness
- Safeguarding the environment
- Strengthening knowledge and institutions