|Features of Cabinet Committee||1. They are extra constitutional and emergence – not mentioned in Constitution – rules of business provide for establishment.
2. Two types – standing and ad hoc – Standing is temporary &ad hoc is permanent.
3. Setup by the PM – according to the requirements of the situation-number, nomenclature, composition varies from time to time.
4. 3-8 member – usually include Cabinet Minister – Non-cabinet members are not a debarred
5. Mostly headed by Prime Minister
a. Sometimes Cabinet ministers -home Minister, finance Minister – act as chairman – Prime Minister still a member of committee
b. Include ministers in charge of subjects + other senior ministers.
6. Decisions also taken – subject to review of cabinet.
7. They are organisational devices to reduce enormous workload of cabinet – also facilitate examination of policy issues and effective coordination.
8. Based on division of labour and effective delegation
|2019 Functional Committees||· Committee on political affairs.
· Committee on economic affairs.
· Appointments committee of Cabinet.
· Cabinet committee on security.
· Cabinet committee on Parliamentary affairs.
· Cabinet committee on accommodation.
· Cabinet committee on investment and growth.
· Cabinet committee on employment and skill development.
|Functions||1. Political affairs committee – policy matters pertaining to domestic and foreign affairs.
2. Economic affairs committee – control and direction of government activities and economic sphere.
3. Appointments committee-all high-level appointments (Central Secretariat, public enterprises banks and financial institutions)
4. Parliamentary affairs –progress of government business in Parliament-chaired by Home Minister.
|GoMs (Groups of Ministers)||· Some GoMs take discussion on the behalf of Cabinet where as other make recommendation to Cabinet.
· Constituted to look into various issues/subjects.
· Ministers heading the concerned ministries – facing issues and critical problems – are inducted into relevant GoMs
Get all essential Crux notes by clicking here https://diademy.com/product/staticcrux/