|August -2014||Planning Commission [65-year-old] scrapped.|
|1 Jan, 2015||NITI Aayog (National Institution for Transforming India)
Created by executive Resolution of GOI, hence neither a Constitutional body nor a statutory.
|NITI Aayog Policy||Premium policy‘Think Tank’ of GOI:
· Center-state one way policy
· Command & Control
· Think- Tank
· Uses bottom up approach rather than top-down
· Lot of change happened politically, socially, economically so there is a need of change.
Catalyst of development; nurturing an environment through a, holistic approach.
· State role as equal partners in national development – cooperative Federalism
· Think Tank- expertise on stragic issues, knowledge hub.
· Collaborative platform –
– facilitating implementation
– All executive closer.
· Redundant ; In command economy structure in diversified country
· One size fits all – obsolete
|Composition||a. Chairperson: PM
b. Governing Council: CM of all States and UT’s and Lt. General of other UT’s
c. Regional Councils: formed to address specific issues affecting more than one state or a region – convened by PM – comprises of CM of dates/Lt. General of UT in the region
d. Special invitees: experts, specialist and practitioners with relevant knowledge – invited by PM
e. Full time organisational framework:
1. Vice chairperson- appointed by PM – enjoy the rank of Cabinet Minister
2. Members: full time – rank of minister of state
3. Part-Time Members: Max 2 – from leading Uni or research org – on rotation bases
4. Official number: max 4 -nominated by PM – of union Council of ministers.
5. CEO: apt by PM – rank of Secretary to GOI – fixed tenure
6. Secretariat: if necessary
|Specialised Wings||1. Research Wing
2. Consultancy Wing
3. Team India Wing
|Objectives||· Cooperative federalism (inc.)
· Establish Collaboration & work on
· ‘National agenda’
· Long term strategic goals setup
· Focus on agenda of development
|Aims||· Govt ‘Enabler’ not a provider for first and last resort.
· Economically vibrant middle class (Inc)
· India as a global active player.
· Technology (Inc) – opacity & potential for misadventure in govt(dec)
· Urbanisation as an opportunity to create a secure & whole some habitat.
|Guiding Principles||· Antodaya: Prioritise Service an uplift poor.
· Inclusion: empower vulnerable and marginalised section.
· Village: integrate villages into development process.
· Demographic dividend: harness people of India the greatest as it through education and skilling
· People’s participation: transform the development process into a people driven one.
· Governance: nurture and open, transparent, accountable style of governance.
· Sustainability: maintain sustainability at the core of planning and developmental process – build on the ancient tradition of respect for environment
· Move is just a “fluff” and mere “gimmickry”.
· New body will pave the way for discrimination, as “corporates will call the shots” in policy.
|Planning Commission||1950 – by executive Resolution of GoI.
A supreme organ for planning ( social & economic development)
|Function||Plan for ‘balance utilisation’.
To check progress & Recoment.
|Composition||PM + Dy. Chairman + server minister = 4-7 expert member + member secretary (IAS)|
|Criticism||· Staff agency – advisory role
· But took the form of social cabinet or economic cabinet or Parallel Cabinet or the fifth wheal of the coach.
· No representation of state as advisory body – administration.
|Attached Offices of NITI Aayog||1. National Institute of labour economics research and development – NILERD – formerly Institute of applied manpower research
2. Development monitoring and evaluation office.
|NDC (National Development Council)||Ø Last meeting was in Dec 2012.
Ø Rumour for ending NDC, till now no resolution.
Ø PM + all union Cabinet minister + CM of all state + CM/Ad of UTs + Member of Planning Commission
Ø Secretary of planning commission
|Objective||Secure Plan for cooperation of state, common economic policies. Balance & rapid growth.|
|Functions||Guideline for nation program
Make assessment of resource.
Consider social – economic policies.
Review working of National Plan.
Five Year plan was Union Cabinet after approval – N.D.C., By Niti Aayog.
|Importance||Highest body, for policy matter – reg. Social & economic development. Non binding nature.|
|Critical Evaluation||Super cabinet, upper stamp of decision taken by Central government.|
Get all essential Crux notes by clicking here https://diademy.com/product/staticcrux/