Q . Quasi-judicial bodies provide an alternative to the regular judicial process. Examine the role and powers and the shortcomings and suggest ways to improve their functioning.(10 marks, 150 words, GS-2)
- Begin with the introduction of the quasi judicial bodies.
- Second para about the role and powers of such bodies and how are these different from regular courts.
- Next para to include the short comings in the working.
- Final para to be about the future measures to improve the functioning.
Quasi-judicial bodies are institutes which have powers analogous to that of the law imposing bodies but these are not courts.
Different from courts:
- They primarily oversee the administrative zones. e.g. CICI
- The courts have the power to supervise over all types of disputes but the quasi-judicial bodies are the ones with the powers of imposing laws on administrative agencies. e.g. NHRC
- These bodies support to lessen the burden of the courts. e.g. ITAT
- Quasi-judicial activity is restricted to the issues that concern the particular administrative agency. ..g. CCI
- Quasi-judicial action may be appealed to a court of law which is the final vital authority.
Awards and judgements of the quasi-judicial bodies often depend on a pre-determined set of rules or punishment depending on the nature and gravity of the offence committed.
Such punishment may be legally enforceable under the law of a country, it can be challenged in a court of law.
Important quasi-judicial bodies in India are as under:
- National Human Rights Commission
- State Human Rights Commission
- Central Information Commission
- State Information Commission
- National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission
- State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission
- District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum
- Competition Commission of India
- Railway Claims Tribunal, Income Tax Appellate Tribunal, Intellectual Property Appellate Tribunal, Central Excise and Service Tax Appellate Tribunal etc
- Banking Ombudsman, Insurance Ombudsman, Income tax Ombudsman, Electricity Ombudsman