The Ministry of Women and Child Development approved the implementation of the Pradhan Mantri Mahila Shakti Kendra Scheme on 22nd November, 2017.
- Mahila Shakti Kendra (MSK) is a sub-scheme under the Umbrella Scheme Pradhan Mantri Mahila Shashaktikaran Yojana (PMMSY).
- The Scheme will provide an interface for rural women to approach the government for availing their entitlements and for empowering them through awareness generation, training and capacity building.
- The scheme envisages community engagement through college student volunteers in aspirational districts, as well as setting up of District Level Centres for Women (DLCWs) and State Resource Centres for Women (SRCWs) to support the implementation of women-centric schemes/programs and to function as Project Management Units for Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme.
- The challenges faced while implementing the scheme include the non-availability of college faculty members/ colleges in certain Blocks in aspirational districts, and difficulties in engaging student volunteers.
- Under Mahila Shakti Kendra Scheme, District Level Centres for women are approved for all districts as per Census of India, 2011.
Click here to read the complete 13th Feb’s Most Powerful Daily Current Affairs concepts